Georgia’s public universities complete coronavirus-driven switch to online courses

ATLANTA – The University System of Georgia became fully online this week, with online courses substituting for in-person instruction due to the coronavirus pandemic, system Chancellor Steve Wrigley said Wednesday.

Wrigley praised both the system’s IT staff for setting up the online system and university faculty for converting their courses to online.

“In highly unusual circumstances, people have worked very hard not to just deal with them but to overcome them,” Wrigley told members of the university system Board of Regents during a special called meeting by telephone to discuss the system’s response to the public health crisis.

Tristan Denley, executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, said the system’s internet traffic nearly doubled on Monday when the online courses began.

“With that significant increase in traffic, we have monitored it closely to make sure students didn’t have any difficulty getting into the system,” he said. “It was very smooth.”

Gov. Brian Kemp, using emergency powers to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak granted him by the General Assembly two weeks ago ordered all of Georgia’s public colleges and universities, technical colleges and public schools closed until March 31, an order he later extended until April 24.

The university system has gone a step further by closing all of its campuses for the remainder of the spring semester.

Wrigley said most campuses have finished moving students out of their dorms, and the schools are working to issue refunds for services students have paid for but won’t be receiving.

On another front, the chancellor updated the regents on what the university system is doing to help the state’s public health and emergency management agencies respond to COVID-19.

On Tuesday, Kemp’s office announced state health officials are working with the university system and Emory University on ramping up coronavirus testing in Georgia with a goal of processing more than 3,000 test samples per day.

University System of Georgia Chancellor Steve Wrigley

Wrigley thanked the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State University and Augusta University for participating in the project.

The chancellor said system campuses also are pitching in with supplies hospitals need to safety treat a growing number of coronavirus patients, including personal protective equipment (PPEs), which are in short supply at hospitals across the country because of the unprecedented demand prompted by the pandemic.

“We want to make sure our assets are deployed as effectively as possible,” Wrigley said.

Congress asking Trump administration to step up aid to rural hospitals battling COVID-19

U.S. Capitol

ATLANTA – More than 120 members of Congress, including three from Georgia, are asking the Trump administration to prioritize rural hospitals for funding from the $2 trillion economic stimulus package Congress passed last week.

The package includes $130 billion aimed specifically at the needs of hospitals fighting the coronavirus pandemic.

The letter, dated Monday and sent to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, is signed by 41 senators and 81 members of the House of Representatives, including Republican Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler of Georgia, and Rep. Austin Scott, R-Tifton.

“The CARES Act provides you with the flexibility to deliver assistance where it is needed most,” the letter states. “Right now, some rural hospitals are reporting they’re running out of operating funds. This jeopardizes their ability to maintain health-care services during the COVID-19 outbreak. We cannot afford to ignore their pressing needs.”

The letter goes on to assert that most rural hospitals have stopping performing elective procedures and stopped seeing non-urgent patients in order to deal with those with coronavirus. The strain that is putting on their finances is leaving some with only days of cash on hand, money they need for payroll and supplies.

The letter asks Azar to brief members of Congress on the situation facing rural hospitals by teleconference by the end of this week.

The stimulus package includes hundreds of billions of dollars to help U.S. businesses large and small keep furloughed employees on their payrolls during the coronavirus crisis. It also will send checks directly to American workers and their families and deliver assistance to state and local governments suffering from losses in tax revenue.

Georgia court rules adjusted to account for coronavirus

Georgia Chief Justice Harold Melton

ATLANTA – The Georgia Supreme Court is loosening restrictions governing certain court proceedings to adjust to the realities of the coronavirus pandemic.

The court declared a state judicial emergency March 14, ordering courts throughout Georgia to remain open to carry out critical functions.

Additional orders issued Tuesday and during the past week amend certain court rules to allow such things as the use of video conferences and telephone conferences in certain proceedings that normally require the physical presence of the judge and the parties to a case. The rules also encourage courts to livestream proceedings via the internet to give the public access.

“The purpose of these orders is to enable all our courts to continue conducting essential court business while protecting citizens, judges, lawyers, and others from unnecessary exposure to the coronavirus,” Chief Justice Harold Melton said.

The high court issued five separate orders approving amendments to rules affecting superior and state courts, probate courts, municipal courts, juvenile courts, and magistrate courts.

Georgia Power launching beneficial reuse project for coal ash

Georgia Power’s Plant Mitchell was retired in 2016.

ATLANTA – Georgia Power Co. plans to convert coal ash stored at one of its retired power plants into a component of Portland cement, the Atlanta-based utility announced Tuesday.

The beneficial reuse project, a first for Georgia, will be launched later this year at Plant Mitchell near Albany. About two million tons of stored coal ash at the site will be removed.

“As part of our ash pond closure efforts, Georgia Power is always looking for opportunities to reuse coal ash that are beneficial for our customers and communities,” said Mark Berry, the utility’s vice president of environmental and natural resources. “The coal ash beneficial reuse project at Plant Mitchell will save space in landfills and ultimately serve to help produce a valuable product.”

Coal ash is the residue left behind after burning coal to fuel power plants. It can contain a number of toxic chemicals, including lead, selenium and arsenic.

Coal ash was a controversial topic during this year’s General Assembly session, which was suspended indefinitely more than two weeks ago because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Before that, Democrats pushed legislation that would require Georgia Power to install impervious liners under 10 of the utility’s 29 ash ponds. Georgia Power plans to excavate and remove ash from the other 19 ponds.

But majority Republicans opposed the legislation. Instead, the state House of Representatives passed three other bills imposing additional regulations on the disposal of coal ash but stopping short of requiring liners.

Plant Mitchell was retired in 2016 as part of a Georgia Power plan approved by the state Public Service Commission. At the completion of the ash conversion project there, the ash pond site will be restored as usable property.

Separately, Georgia Power issued an initial request for proposals in January to identify and pursue other opportunities for the beneficial reuse of coal ash stored at its power plants across the state. A more detailed RFP is due to be released by the end of April to qualified bidders.

Additionally, Georgia Power plans to open a research facility later this year at Plant Bowen to identify, test and speed the development of beneficial uses for coal ash. Georgia Power will partner with the Palo Alto, Calif.-based Electric Power Research Institute on the research center.

Georgia coronavirus deaths surpass 100

Gov. Brian Kemp provides an update on coronavirus in Georgia earlier in March. (Photo by Beau Evans)

ATLANTA – More than 100 Georgians have died of coronavirus, the state Department of Public Health (DPH) reported Tuesday.

As of noon Tuesday, the number of confirmed cases of the virus had risen to 3,817, of whom 818 were hospitalized. The number of deaths from COVID-19 was up to 108.

The virus also has invaded the vast majority of Georgia counties, with at least one confirmed case reported in 139 of the state’s 159 counties.

Fulton County continued to report more cases than any other county, with 547 coronavirus patients, to 455 for Dougherty County. However, Dougherty County has suffered 18 deaths from the virus, compared to 17 deaths in Fulton County.

DeKalb County reported the third-highest number of confirmed cases, with 325 as of noon Tuesday. Cobb County reported 272 cases, Gwinnett County 233, Bartow County 129 and Carroll County 122.

Eleven patients from Cobb County have died from COVID-19, third-highest in the state, followed by Lee County with six deaths and Athens-Clarke County with five.

More and more Georgians are being tested for coronavirus. As of noon Tuesday, private labs had administered 14,260 tests, while 1,921 tests had been conducted by the DPH.