Bill requiring all vehicle passengers in Georgia to buckle up hits speed bumps

Sen. Tonya Anderson (far left) talks with Sen. Randy Robertson (far right) about back-seat safety belt legislation on Feb. 19, 2020. (Photo by Beau Evans)

ATLANTA – Legislation aimed at requiring back-seat passengers to wear safety belts in Georgia hit speed bumps Wednesday as key Senate lawmakers disagreed over penalties and court implications for violators.

Georgia has required front-seat passengers to wear belts in most vehicles since 1988. It remains one of 20 states that lack similar rules for the back seat.

But under Senate Bill 226, every person in a vehicle would need to buckle up – not just those in the front seat. Currently, state law exempts back-seat passengers from needing to wear a safety belt.

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Randy Robertson, said the point is to make Georgia’s roads safer and reduce hospital and investigation costs associated with auto crashes.

The measure poses an “opportunity to save some lives in Georgia and I think save a lot of money,” Robertson, R-Cataula, said during a Senate Public Safety Committee hearing Wednesday.

It would not end an exemption for certain vehicles like tractors, mail carriers and school buses.

The Senate committee did not vote on the bill Wednesday.

Fines for violations would increase greatly under an amended version of the bill brought Wednesday from $15 to $75 for drivers and passengers, and from $25 to $125 for drivers who do let children ride without seat belts.

Some lawmakers balked at the steep fine increases, worried they could hit low-income drivers and passengers hardest.

Senate Majority Leader Mike Dugan, skeptical that raising fines would produce the desired effect, urged more talks before the bill advances.

“I would like to have a conversation about modifying those numbers a little bit,” said Dugan, R-Carrollton.

Also concerned about the fines was Sen. Tonya Anderson, D-Lithonia, who filed identical legislation on back-seat belt use days before Robertson did during last year’s legislative session.

At Wednesday’s hearing, Anderson questioned the logic of setting fines so much higher, noting her own legislation – Senate Bill 160 – would leave the fine amounts untouched.

“That bill did not have the over-policing and the overbearing of fines,” Anderson said of her measure.

Robertson said he’s open to revising the fine amounts but believes they need to be tough enough to encourage belt use.

Likewise at issue in Robertson’s bill is whether to add a provision allowing civil courts in Georgia to admit evidence that a person was not wearing a seat belt during a crash. State law currently bars such evidence.

Supporters say allowing seat-belt evidence in court would bring more fairness to court proceedings when lawsuits are filed seeking big damage awards from insurance companies. But critics warn shifting the burden of proof to crash victims could dissuade legitimate claims from being filed, thus protecting insurers.

A Senate study committee formed last year recommended changing the law to permit seat-belt evidence in court.

That committee was created through a resolution sponsored by Anderson, who speculated Wednesday that her bill may have been skipped over in favor of Robertson’s because she does not support allowing seat-belt evidence.

Robertson, however, said he wants his bill to pass without any amendments on evidence admissibility.

“I’m hoping by keeping this clean we totally get away from the evidentiary issue,” Robertson said.

That approach is not favored by Sen. Tyler Harper, R-Ocilla, the public safety committee’s vice chairman.

Harper wondered why more Georgia passengers should be required to wear safety belts despite court evidence protections – and even questioned the virtue of mandated belt use overall.

“I would be OK if we struck the entire seat belt code from Georgia law,” Harper said. “I believe wholeheartedly in personal responsibility.”

Georgia House OKs mid-year budget

ATLANTA – The Georgia House of Representatives passed a mid-year budget Wednesday that would restore many of the spending cuts Gov. Brian Kemp proposed last month to help offset lower-than-expected tax collections.

The $27.4 billion fiscal 2020 mid-year budget, which passed 126-46 and now moves to the state Senate, covers state spending through the end of June. It  reflects a lower revenue estimate the governor issued in January amid sluggish tax receipts going back to the middle of last year.

The mid-year budget includes $159 million in state funding reductions and eliminates or delays filling 1,255 vacant positions. But during days of hearings that prompted a break in this year’s General Assembly session, the House Appropriations Committee still managed to fully restore cuts the governor recommended to the state’s accountability courts and county health departments.

“We tried our best with this budget to address the needs of Georgians,” House Speaker David Ralston, R-Blue Ridge, told reporters after the vote.

For many budget line items, the House wasn’t able to fully restore planned cuts but acted to reduce the severity of the reductions. Lawmakers put back significant portions of cuts slated for mental health and child welfare services and restored all of a $164,800 reduction to the Georgia Memory Net program.

“If you haven’t dealt with dementia or Alzheimer’s yet, you will,” Appropriations Committee Chairman Terry England, R-Auburn, told his House colleagues. “Get ready.”

The House also restored funds used to market the state’s farm products as well as marketing money for the Georgia Department of Economic Development’s Global Commerce and Tourism divisions.

Lawmakers also rejected reducing spending on equipment and operations at state parks and historic sites.

England said they not only put money in the coffers of local governments in rural communities but provide Georgia families a place to get away and enjoy nature.

“It’s important that we continue to maintain these sites in a way that makes them attractive,” he said.

A tourist attraction operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources – the Historic SAM Shortline Excursion Train from Cordele to Plains – received $250,000 in one-time funds from the House.

House Minority Leader Bob Trammell praised members of the Appropriations Committee for working hard to limit the impact of the cuts in the mid-year budget.

But he said the culprit behind Georgia’s budget crunch is the income tax cut the Republican-controlled General Assembly passed two years ago, which cost the state $550 million a year in tax revenue.

“When unemployment is at a record low and the economy is doing very well, we are cutting Georgia’s budget,” said Trammell, D-Luthersville. “The choices we are making are choices we’re supposed to have to make when times are tough. … We’re having to cut when times are good.”

But Ralston said the economic damage Hurricane Michael wreaked on Georgia farms and forests in October 2018 is to blame for the downturn in tax collections.

“It was a crippling blow to our economy,” he said. “We’re still paying for that.”

Lawmakers will face steeper spending cuts when they tackle Kemp’s fiscal 2021 budget later in this year’s session.

But England said the mid-year budget has been more challenging because lawmakers will have more time and, thus, more flexibility, in dealing with next year’s spending.

Interim public safety chief tapped in Georgia

Former Tift County Sheriff Gary Vowell will temporarily head up Georgia’s public safety agency. (Credit: Office of Gov. Brian Kemp)

Former Tift County Sheriff Gary Vowell has been tapped to head up the Georgia Department of Public Safety on an interim basis following the resignation last week of former Commissioner Mark McDonough.

McDonough tendered his resignation last Thursday at the behest of Gov. Brian Kemp in the wake of a cheating scandal in the agency’s cadet training program.

Vowell, a career law enforcement official, was approved unanimously Wednesday by the state Board of Public Safety to assume the interim commissioner role. He starts on the job March 1.

“My entire career has been devoted to keeping Georgia families safe and upholding the highest ideals of integrity in our law enforcement community, and I look forward to working in the Kemp administration,” Vowell said in a statement.

The public safety department houses the Georgia State Patrol, the Motor Carrier Compliance Division and the Capitol Police Division.

Vowell was a field training officer and peace officer instructor with the state patrol for two decades before being elected sheriff of Tift County in 1996. He kept that office until 2012 when he decided not to seek re-election.

Kemp touted Vowell’s qualifications Wednesday, calling the former sheriff “a respected and trusted leader within Georgia’s law enforcement community.”

“Given his background, I know that Gary will be able to easily transition in this important role,” Kemp said in a statement.

McDonough’s resignation followed the firing last month of an entire cadet class caught cheating on an online exam required to use the agency’s radar speed detectors.

It also came in the wake of a cyberattack in July that downed the agency’s main computer server for months and a break-in at the state Capitol that left light fixtures and paintings damaged.

A U.S. Marine veteran, McDonough was a state trooper in Blue Ridge before being tapped as the commanding officer of the state patrol. He was picked for the commissioner post by then-Gov. Nathan Deal in 2011.

U.S. Senate election may keep melee format in Georgia

ATLANTA – The race to fill former U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson’s seat permanently looks to remain a free-for-all “jungle” primary involving candidates from all parties at once after legislative changes to that format were shelved Tuesday.

Under House Bill 757, special elections in Georgia for suddenly vacated offices would require a party primary to be held prior to a general election in the fall.

Currently, special elections do not include party primaries, instead pitting all candidates who qualify against each other simultaneously in the general election.

Changes to the bill introduced Tuesday would apply the party-primary format to special elections starting in 2021. That timing would keep this year’s U.S. Senate contest to permanently replace Isakson as a free-for-all special election with no party primary.

The party-primary bill became a political hot potato last month when U.S. Rep. Doug Collins, R-Gainesville, announced his bid to unseat appointed U.S. Sen. Kelly Loeffler. Gov. Brian Kemp tapped Loeffler late last year to fill Isakson’s seat until the Nov. 3 election.

The bill was initially amended to require a party primary for the Senate race. Several of Collins’ supporters including Georgia House Speaker David Ralston, R-Blue Ridge, favored the change.

Many lawmakers and observers at the state Capitol speculated restoring the election format to a traditional primary could boost Collins’ chances to beat Loeffler before competing against the Democratic candidate.

Without the changes, the November free-for-all election will likely result in a January runoff. Special elections require the leading candidate to secure more than 50% of votes to avoid a runoff.

The revised bill would also apply the party-primary format for special elections to state House and Senate seats. Some state lawmakers worried Tuesday that adding more primaries for local elections could be too expensive for many counties.

Originally sponsored by Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, the bill’s changes in recent weeks have been brought by Rep. Shaw Blackmon, R-Bonaire.

At a House Governmental Affairs Committee meeting Tuesday, Blackmon said the latest changes aimed at pushing back the start date were “requested by members of our body” and took into account how the race “is playing out in the Senate.”

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who favored holding off on the changes until next year, said the slower approach to tweaking elections in Georgia is prudent. He also called for creating a commission to keep studying the issue after the 2020 legislative session ends.

“It’s a very broad issue that deals with several different races,” Raffensperger said. “It’s not just a one-off for a congressional seat.”

Critics, meanwhile, wondered why the changes could not take effect in time for this year’s elections.

“If the policy is good for Jan. 1, 2021, then it should be good for now,” said House Minority Leader Bob Trammell, D-Luthersville.

The race between Loeffler and Collins has heated up amid rounds of political advertising. Collins has lampooned Loeffler’s touting her upbringing on a farm in Illinois, despite now being a wealthy CEO from Atlanta. Loeffler’s allies have cast Collins as too enmeshed in the politics of Washington, D.C.

Aside from Republicans Loeffler and Collins, and Democrat Raphael Warnock, the U.S. Senate race has drawn two other Democratic challengers so far: Matt Lieberman, the son of former U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, and Ed Tarver, a former U.S. attorney and state senator from Augusta.

Georgia House committee passes surprise billing measure

Georgia Rep. Lee Hawkins

ATLANTA – Legislation aimed at ending the practice of “surprise billing” of medical patients in Georgia cleared a committee in the state House of Representatives Tuesday.

Lawmakers have been trying for years to help patients hit with unexpected charges from hospitals that participate in their insurance plan’s network for health-care services provided by out-of-network specialists.

“People are getting into financial trouble and losing everything they have, in some cases, because of a misunderstanding,” Rep. Lee Hawkins, R-Gainesville, chief sponsor of the bill, told members of the House Special Committee on Access to Quality Health Care. “We’re going to end that misunderstanding.”

House Bill 888 would require insurance companies to pay out-of-network physicians either a “contracted amount” based on rates charged in 2017 for various procedures, or a higher charge that the insurer proposes.

Disagreements between the insurer and provider would prompt an arbitration process overseen by the state Department of Insurance, which would contract with outside private arbitration companies to decide the final bill.

On Tuesday, consumer advocates and lobbyists representing hospitals and health-insurance companies spoke out in support of the legislation.

“It takes Georgia patients out of disputes between insurance companies and medical providers,” said Liz Coyle, executive director of Georgia Watch, a consumer organization based in Atlanta.

But representatives of physician groups raised concerns that the bill would cover not only emergency services provided outside of a patient’s network but non-emergency procedures for which a patient could prepare ahead of time.

“We understand the need to protect consumers,” said Victor Moldovan, a lawyer representing the Independent Doctors Association of Georgia. “But what this bill does … is take the fangs out of the ability of doctors to negotiate their rates.”

Mary Shea Ross-Smith, a lobbyist for the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia, said she’s concerned the bill would not apply the ban on surprise, or “balance,” billing to patients forced to go to a non-network medical facility for treatment in an emergency.

“In that situation, that member should not be balance billed,” she said.

But Hawkins said most patients hit with a surprise bill have gone to an in-network facility only to be charged for services provided by an out-of-network specialist. He suggested addressing that issue now in order not to further complicate the legislation and dealing with services provided at out-of-network facilities later.

An identical bill is pending in the Georgia Senate. The Senate bill, sponsored by Sen. Chuck Hufstetler, R-Rome, is expected to go before the Senate Health and Human Services Committee on Wednesday.